Appointments may be made to a vacant seat when an empty seat becomes available. Appointments for vacant seats are made April-February. Candidates can be appointed to a vacant seat by a 2/3 Board Member vote.
As of March 2021, there are 3 vacant seats on the Board in District 5, 7 and At-Large.
Candidates applying for a vacated seat must…
- Submit an application. Submit your application via e-mail
Obtain at least 10 signatures from the district in which you are seeking a seat.Important: signature gathering has been suspended for the 2021 election due to the City of San Diego’s social distancing guidelines for CPG elections
- Have documented attendance at one of the Board’s last 12 meetings PRIOR to the appointment
- Present yourself to the Board at a regularly scheduled Board meeting and announce intention to apply for a seat and tell the Board about yourself and why you want to be on the Planning Board
- The Board will vote on all appointments.
For any additional questions please email us
Elections March 2021
Board Member/Candidate Eligibility & Instructions
Eight seats will be up for election this year (2021), one from each of the seven Districts in the OB Community Plan Area and one At-Large seat. View current incumbents. If elected, members will serve a two-year term. Board members are voluntary and receive no compensation.
All persons who meet the eligibility criteria below may apply for a seat on the Ocean Beach Planning Board.
PLEASE NOTE: application period for candidates to get their names on the ballot has closed. Write-in candidates will still be accepted with approved application and criteria, prior to March 2, 2021.
Candidates must be
- 18 years of age
- Must be one (1) of the following: Resident, Property Owner/Agent, Business Owner/Licensee, within the OB Community Plan Area (see map), for more than 30 days.
- Have documented attendance at one of the Board’s last 12 meetings prior to the 2021 election.
- It is NOT necessary to be a registered voter with the state or county government.
In addition, to be eligible candidates must:
- SUBMIT APPLICATION: Submit your application by February 3, 2021. Submit your application via e-mail.
- Important: candidates who do not submit an application by the February 3, 2021 meeting will be a write-in candidate only. To have your name on the ballot, you must have your application into the Board and announce candidacy by February 3, 2021.
GATHER SIGNATURES: obtain 20 signatures from the district in which they are seeking a seat. Candidates seeking an At-Large seat may solicit 20 signatures from ANY district/s. Signatures must be from district residents, property owners, or business owners/licensees. Any current board member who had been appointed to a seat within the year but are running for re-election do not need to obtain new signatures. You will need to obtain the balance of 20 signatures as previously obtained signatures will be counted toward the election requirement.Important: signature gathering has been suspended for the 2021 election due to the City of San Diego’s social distancing guidelines for CPG elections.
Please complete your application in its entirety and submit it
with your signatures via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to 4876 Santa Monica Avenue #133 San Diego, CA 92107. Applications not received by March 3, 2021 will not be eligible.
Elections for the 2021 OB Planning Board have closed.
In 2021 we offered 3 ways to vote:
By mail: Print and mail your voter registration form and ballot to Ocean Beach Planning Board, 4876 Santa Monica Ave. #133, San Diego, CA 92107. Must be in our mail box by 4 pm, March 3, 2021 to be counted.
Vote online: Online voting will closed 8 pm, March 3, 2020.
The votes were tabulated on Wednesday, March 3, 2021 at the close of our regular meeting.
Voter Eligibility & Instructions for 2021
- All members of the community who reside, own property or own/operate a business within the OB Community Plan Area are eligible to vote in the election.
- If you are eligible in multiple Districts, you still may ONLY vote in 1 District.
- Community members can only vote for the candidate representing their district AND an at-large candidate.
- All voters must submit a voter registration form with their ballot.
- All mail in ballots must include voter registration form, proof of residency and ballot. It is not necessary to be a state or county registered voter but you must show proof that you reside, own property or have a business in the Ocean Beach Planning Area.
- Addresses outside of planning area boundaries are not eligible to vote.