Appointments to a vacant seat
How to apply for a seat outside of a March election
Appointments may be made to a vacant seat when an empty seat is available. Appointments for vacant seats are made April-February.
Candidates applying for a vacated seat must…
- Submit an application
- Obtain at least 10 signatures from the district in which you are seeking an appointment.
- Present yourself to the Board, at a regularly scheduled Board meeting and announce your intention to apply for a seat. Tell the Board about yourself and why you want to be on the Planning Board.
- Candidates must obtain a 2/3 Board Member vote to be appointed to a vacant seat.
For any additional questions please email us
How to Vote in the 2023 Election
Elections will take place February 22, 2023 a.m. through March 1, 2023 at 8:00 p.m.
Results will be announced Thursday, March 2, 2023 via OBPB email and social media
Who Can Vote?
- All members of the community who reside, own property or own/operate a business within the OB Community Plan Area are eligible to vote in the election.
- If you are eligible in multiple Districts, you still may ONLY vote in one (1) District.
- Community members can only vote for the candidate representing their district AND the At-Large candidate (if you choose).
- All voters must submit a voter registration form with their ballot.
- All voters will be asked to submit proof of residency. It is not necessary to be a state or county registered voter but you must show proof that you reside, own property or have a business within the Ocean Beach Planning Area.
- Addresses outside of the Ocean Beach Planning Area boundaries are not eligible to vote.
How to Submit Your Vote:
- Online: obtc.link/2023obpb (closes March 1 at midnight)
- In Person or Drop Off: March 1, 2023 between 8-10am or 4-8pm at the OB Recreation Center located at 4726 Santa Monica Ave.
- Mail: OBPB, 4876 Santa Monica Ave. #133, San Diego, CA 92107 (must be in the mail by 5pm on March 1st)
- Ballot Box at OBBC: 4967 Newport Ave. Unit 12 (must be in the drop box by 5pm on March 1st)
Run for Election in March / Candidate Eligibility & Instructions
Eight seats will be up for election this year (2023), one from each of the seven Districts within the OB Community Plan Area and one At-Large seat. View current incumbents. If elected, members will serve a two-year term. Board members are volunteers and receive no compensation.
All persons who meet the eligibility criteria below may apply to be a Board Member.
- Candidates must be 18 years of age
- Are one (1) of the following: Resident, Property Owner/Agent, Business Owner/Licensee, within the OB Community Plan Area (see below map), for more than 30 days.
- It is NOT necessary to be a registered voter with the state or county government.
- SUBMIT APPLICATION: Submit your application by e-mail by February 15, 2023.
- For candidates name to be listed on the ballot, submit application & signatures by February 15, 2023. Candidates who do not submit an application & signatures by February 15, 2023, but still wish to run for a seat, will default to a write-in candidate. Applications & signature sheets not received by March 1, 2023 will forfeit a claim to a seat.
- Submit application via e-mail to email@example.com or by mail to 4876 Santa Monica Avenue #133 San Diego, CA 92107.
- GATHER SIGNATURES: Obtain 20 signatures from within the district in which candidate is seeking to represent. At-Large candidates may solicit 20 signatures from ANY district/s.
- Signatures must be obtained from residents, property owners, or business owners/licensees within the candidates district.
- Signatures must be submitted with the candidate application.